Friday, August 7, 2009

Hook, line and sinker

On the Saturday before the club race (Sat 25 July), Chris had to work, but I was determined to do my program as planned. There wasn't anyone available to train with me in the afternoon so I headed off on my own. I had preprogrammed the forerunner, so all I had to do was follow the beeps and instructions. I found the workout very easy, and actually had to keep easing off to keep within the heart rate range.

There was a minor incident with a motorboat that came speeding past (in the no-wash zone), but I managed to get to shore before the waves got me. If I hadn't I would have been swimming for sure! The rest of the paddle went really well. It was getting dark on my return trip and as I paddled past the boat ramp and was almost finished my cool down, I saw Anton standing on the pontoon. He has come down to see how my new toy (forerunner) was going. I commented that I had a few minutes to go and would soon be back. I paddled a couple of hundred metres towards the bridge and then headed back.

Just as I was nearing the put-in/take-out spot (literally gliding in), I felt a vibration across my heart rate monitor band. I thought..."this things' clever, it even vibrates to let me know when I'm finished". That thought didn't last long as I felt an intense tugging in my arm and looked down to see a fish hook stuck into it! The vibration had been the fishing line and hook dragging across my chest and then embedding itself in my shirt and arm. Now that's balance practice. I quickly dug my paddle into the bottom of the river and tried to work out what to do next. I couldn't back paddle, because I couldn't move my left arm. I couldn't snap it off, becuase my right hand was holding the paddle, which was keeping me balance (and stopping me from falling in and probably doing some serious damage).

Thank goodness Anton was there, because he took off his shoes, waded into the water and snapped off the line. Luckily it hadn't gone in past the barb, it was just kinda hanging there. And luckily I've just had a tetanus injection! What an adventure...life is never dull around me!!!!

But it also reminds me of why it's not a great idea to paddle in the dark. I've never had a problem with the line that this residence normally has out, but in the dark, I failed to see it, and obviously paddled too close.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose you are trying to tell us you are a real catch hey...I guess if you suck up to Chris enough he will agree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, you should have been there...it was soooo funny. Wish I had it on camera.

    ReplyDelete