Friday, June 19, 2009

Catch-up post

Well, life and sickness have gotten the better of me over the last 2 weeks and instead of doing individual posts I'm taking the short cut (easy way out) and just doing a catch-up post.

Running
Was going fantastic. I really feel good running now and on Thursday (last week, not yesterday) I booked the boys into the kids creche at a local gym (due to the weather) and ran 40 minutes on the treadmill. I felt soooo good. And of course...then got sick. So the next run I did was today and was a 10 minute shuffle pushing the double pram. Hopefully I'll get back to the level I was at fairly quickly. How frustrating!

Kayaking
Has been going ok, but am still not improving much in the balance department. It's a bit disappointing really as I improved much quicker in the Van Dusen. But I guess that's the difference between being on the water 4 times a week instead of my 2 which is the most I can do at the moment. I just need more time on the water I guess, which is basically impossible at the moment due to short daylight hours and Chris's work and Soccer. That's just the way it is.

Anyway, I had a few really good paddles and I haven't fallen out since the last time I blogged it. I did a lap time-trial in 48:30 which I was a bit disappointed in because I thought I would go a fair bit faster than that (I had been hoping for 47 min), but again lack of time on the water is probably at fault there too.
I also had an interesting session with Mark and Anton last Saturday. I felt wheezy as soon as I woke up and just had that feeling that I was coming down with something. I felt wheezy and short of breath the whole session and the boys even commented that I wasn't talking. When I feel this way, I just can't talk or I end up having a full-blown asthma attack. Normally I'm alright as long as I don't talk or get my heart rate up too high. Anyway, I really struggled and at the end the boys had a mini-race and of course the wash that Anton's TK1 put up resulted in me shouting some rude words their way. When we got back I had a huge whinge and "took the piss outta him". Really fellas I WAS only joking...you'll know when I'm REALLY mad!!! :)
And...no surprises throughout the day I felt worse and worse, and by the time I woke up Sunday morning I knew that I shouldn't go training. I was soooo pi$$ed off. I really wanted to train, but knew that it would have been a very bad call.
The rest of the week I was sick and miserable, and totally unable to train. Not training makes me mad now. It was sooo frustrating. Anyway...I'll ease back into it this weekend and will hopefully be back on track.

Treetops Adventure Park
Well the photos below are from our time at Treetops adventure park. We went there to check it out and Connor loved it and wanted to give it a try, so we booked him in for the following weekend. I can't believe they have a high ropes course for 3-10years. It was fantastic. He looked so cute all harnessed up, and after a hesitant start, he was doing the course with ease. It was sooo high up for a 4 year old, but he was amazing. The reason I've included it in this blog, is because it represents part of my philosophy on parenthood and raising children. I think it is unreal to be able to provide such a wonderful opportunity to children. To get them outdoors, doing physical activity, and gaining a love for challenges. It was so good for his self-esteem and at one point he cried out in joy..."I'm doing it!!!! I'm doing it!!!!". Maybe I need to learn a lesson from him. Next time I'm scared of falling out of the K1, I just have to do my best and so what if I fail. Sometimes, just giving things a go, is the hardest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment