Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday Sprints

My wonderful husband Chris worked right through today (without any breaks) so he could get home in time for me to go to Wednesday night sprints. I was feeling good. I got there a little bit late and everyone was already off doing a warm-up, so Anton and I headed off to do a shortened warm up on our own.
We missed the first sprint, but got there for the rest. I went in the first group with the others a few seconds behind. Overall I was really happy with how I went. I managed to put in a bit of effort without losing my balance, and was generally coping well...other than at the start calling out "I can't stop, don't make me wait too long, lets go...etc". Anyway, it was getting dark quick, and it was starting to affect my balance a bit. By the time we did the group start for 500m I was feeling pretty nervous. I managed ok until everyone came past me and I had their wash. I did ok at first, but had to slow down and hang back becuase I was just going to fall in otherwise.
By the last sprint which was another group start at 250m I lasted about 50m, then called out "I'm out", and headed across the river until most of the wash was gone. I can only just cope with it in good light, but at dusk there was no hope. Pretty disappointing really.
It's really only at dusk that I have the problem. Years ago I had laser vision correction which has been wonderful. One of the best decisions I've made. The only problem I have is with my night vision at dusk. It's still heaps better than it was before the surgery and driving and everything else at dusk is great, but paddling is difficult. I did notice it last year when training for the Hawkesbury Classic. I even found it difficult paddling the Mirage at dusk and in the dark. But with practice I got more confident. I guess I'll just have to practice in the Stealth at dusk and in the dark too. Hopefully I'll get more confident in this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment