Sunday, March 8, 2009

Club race

The race is 11.35km. My start time was 9:23am (based on my last race time of 1:07). I started with another guy in a K1 and soon after we were on our way he started talking to me. I'm sorry but when I race in a single, I'm normally not in the mood to talk. So I sped up to get in front and he quickly hopped on my wash for the whole trip up.

At the turn around I nearly crashed into a few people due to my inexperience, but it turned out ok. I think I must have had at least 4 people riding my wash by that point. Anyway, after the turnaround I hopped on their wash and it was messy but great. I still struggle riding the rear wash and have trouble staying on it, so I switched to riding the side wash of a double Mirage. Now that was a nice wash.

There was by now a heap of people in this pack and we were passing many others. This was tricky, trying to stay on the wash where there was often little or no passing room. It was so hectic and messy, but I managed it and didn't fall in. Now there's the difference between the Struer and the Van Dusan. I would have been swimming for sure in the Van Dusan.

About 1.5km before the end I was struggling to get back on anyone's wash after a rather messy passing, and someone behind me called out and let me tuck in front of them on Mick's wash. I don't know who it was but THANKYOU! I managed to stay on Mick's wash until the end and finished in a time of 1:05:10 (hr:min:sec). I had nothing left. I gave it everything. My average heart rate was 191bpm and a maximum of 202. But I'm absolutely stoked with the time. Imagine how fast I could go in the Van Dusan when I can paddle it as well as the Struer. Hopefully that's where I'll be by the Worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment