Thursday, March 5, 2009

I said an EASY paddle - damn it!

Yeh, yeh, don't worry Anton I'm not going to bag you out too much.
Anyway, I saw the Physio today and he thinks that I've aggravated a couple of joints and ligaments and also have a heap of resulting muscle spasm. I'm under instructions to rest it (only easy paddling), apply heat and do some gentle stretches and to see him again tomorrow.

So, this arvo I sent Anton a message that I wanted to do an easy, short paddle. 'OK' was the reply I got. 'OK' my ar$e! As soon as we started paddling he went fast (for a Mirage) and then when we met up with Mick and Jack he took off on Jack's wash and sped for the lake...leaving me some horrid wash to contend with and no hope of keeping up (whilst doing an easy paddle anyway). I somehow managed to turn around at the lake without falling in but almost crashing into Mick (it was the choppiest I've turned around in yet), and we headed back. This time it was Anton and Mick paddling in front and again leaving me some horrid wash to contend with the whole way back. Now normally this would have been great practice for me, but today everytime I had to brace or use my back to stabilise it was horribly painful. So in the end I dropped back with Jack and just took it easy to the boat ramp.

Mick, Jack and Jen (who had been paddling on her own) finished, and Anton and I then headed to do a bridge lap to finish. The pace slowed down (to what I was meant to be doing all along) and Anton was nice to me again. I think this was only because he was scared what I was going to write in this blog (didn't help did it - heheheheh). By now my back was really sore and I was regretting paddling. I don't want to risk hurting it more and not being able to compete to my best at State. I can put up with a fair bit of pain, but this was not fun today. Hopefully now I'm home some heat, stretching and anti-inflamatories will make it feel better.

And Anton, I'm only kidding...I don't blame you. It was not yours or anyone elses fault. The only person who is responsible for how I paddle is myself. It was my decision to try to keep up, I could have always just dropped right back and paddled on my own. It was my own stupidity trying to push myself too much. If I was a bit cranky it was just because I was in pain - I wasn't cranky at you.

2 comments:

  1. sorry about pushing you a bit hard this arvo i am just a bit paranoid about you getting the nose of that van dusen in front of me now. normally a short easy paddle for you now means you blasting along over 8 km at warp factor 7 with me busting my butt trying to keep up. c ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok, but you do realise that you are going to pay for it badly when my back is better and I can paddle properly again? Hahahaha, hehehehe (evil laughter)

    ReplyDelete