Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Last paddle before I race

The Struer is all fixed and Jack, Mick and myself headed out for a short easy paddle this afternoon. Jack has been very busy at his place and within a week has put in stairs and carpet to make a beautiful little access point to the river. Nice!!!!

Today I tried using my drink system and it took a while to get used to as it throws the balance off a bit, but after a while I didn't even notice it was there and was able to drink from it without too much trouble. First objective achieved.

Mick (who had already done some paddling) left us back at the boat ramp and Jack and I continued up the river. For the rest of the paddle he helped me out with wash riding techniques and race tactics. The whole time he was getting me to try different things and challenging me by speeding up, slowing down, changing direction etc. It was unreal! He has so much knowledge and experience and it's great to be able to learn some tricks. I've learnt so much by paddling with the guys in the last month. Second objective achieved.

After we finished the lap I was feeling great and definately ready to race. My back was no problem, my technique felt much better, the drink system was comfortable and effective, and I'm excited about racing. So I called it quits whilst I felt so good.

Once off the river back at Jack and Jen's place whilst washing down boats and getting organised for the weekend, Jen came out and handed me a lovely hot mug of Milo....now that's service! I think I'll be paddling from your place a bit more often in future Jack and Jen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment