Saturday, March 21, 2009

State Marathon Championships: Day 1 Race Report

Singles events were on this morning and I started off at 10:04am in the Open Womens K1 (me and only 1 other competitor) with the Under 23 Womens K1 (Elizabeth Dodd from our club and 1 other competitor) starting with us as well. A pretty disappointing turn up for all events I must say.

I aimed to start conservatively and was slow off the start (better to stay upright and lose a couple of metres). Straight away the 2 elite women bolted and that was pretty much the last Lizz and I saw of them the whole race (other than turns of course). They were just too superior and it was pretty much what I expected to happen. So it was me and Lizz paddling fairly close together for the race. I was feeling good and by the end of the first lap I had caught up to Liz (after my slow start) and we went into the portage together. By the end of the portage she had gained a lot of distance on me, but I caught her back up by the end of the second lap. The second portage was the same, but she gained even more distance and I couldn't catch her. However on the 3rd portage she didn't do so well and we left the beach together. I decided to wash ride her (technically I wasn't meant to but everyone else was doing the same thing) and the first part of the 4th lap was spent with me wash riding her, and some guy wash riding me. I started to feel really good and strong and had planned to let her rest behind me after the turn around and then after the last portage to let it be every man/woman for themselves, but 200 metres from the turn disaster struck...

The whole race we were cursed by speed boats and water skiers. They were very inconsiderate and even sped up when they got near us. I can't believe that they were allowed on the river - it was really quite dangerous. I had coped with all this wash extremely well, but this time we had 2 boats come past from behind us who sped up when then reached us. It created 2 lots of enormous following wash. I coped with the first lot well as I had time to turn towards the bank a bit, but at one point the cockpit was even in the water. I had never paddled on wash so big! The second lot was the end of me. I was still paddling in the direction of the wash but the waves just turned the kayak and spun it sideways and flipped me over. I have no idea how Liz didn't fall in - much better skill I suppose. But then again I think it was just bad luck for me.

I was pretty pi$$ed off. I swam for shore and soon discovered that eventhough it was shallow water the mud/silt was knee deep. I had no hope of getting back in on my own. Every time I managed to brace my paddle on a rock and get a leg in, the other leg would sink in the mud and I would tip back over. I tried in vain for a while and then finally a safety boat saw me and came over. After several amusing attempts for them to help me (which included them drifting 30 metres down the river with my paddle), they finally managed to help me get back in. In all, it was at least 15 minutes spent until I was back in the K1. Soooooo frustrating. I really had only 2 options. To end my race there and then with a DNF (which really wasn't an option for me) or to keep going. So I kept going. I was so far behind by now it was embarrassing, but I came in for the last portage and everyone was cheering me and encouraging me, so off I went on my final lap and paddled hard till the end.

It was so frustrating to paddle so hard and well for so long, to have it end like that so close to the finish. I always knew that I wouldn't win - that wasn't the issue - I had wanted to paddle well and see what kind of time I could do for the distance. And when Liz and I were so close it turned into a race between us (eventhough we were in different classes) and I had hoped to finish close to her or even beat her. Oh well. At least I can look at her time and have a vague idea as to what time I would have done.

So I got a silver medal in a time of 2:46:08 (hr:min:sec) for 25km with 4 portages. Liz did 2:38:30, which I know I could have done without the capsize. I think she probably eased off a bit when she saw I'd disappeared and would have gone faster than that if I'd still been on her tail.

But, all in all I'm happy with how I paddled and coped with most of the wash and conditions. My portages were slow, but for my first time I think I did well. So other than the capsize I'm pleased with my race.

No comments:

Post a Comment