Saturday, March 14, 2009

Not the Struer!

Anton and I met up this morning for an easy paddle. My physio has given me strict instructions to NOT "do anything silly over the weekend", and Anton is racing tomorrow so we planned a short easy session.

My back felt good and I focused on technique trying to improve rotation and reach, and stop 'unwinding' before the catch. I even went for the third marker out in the lake, which I have never done before in a K1 and after the first 8.5km lap was feeling really good, so we decided to go for a second lap.

By the time we got up to the lake on the second lap my back was aching a fair bit, so I hopped out and gave it a quick stretch and then finished the second lap. 17km all up and I feel as comfortable in the Struer now as if it was a TK1.

We called it a day and went about washing down the kayaks. I had the Struer carefully placed on the cradles and was wiping it down when it started to tip. I quickly grabbed it to stop it falling and heard a horrible crack. I couldn't believe it. It had cracked where a previous repair had been done (the combing had come away). Not the Struer!!! I felt sick. I had been so careful with it - as I always am when looking after someone elses things - seriously I am obsessive compulsive when I borrow things. I was devestated.

When Jack and Jen arrived to look at it I just called out "I'm Soooooooo sorry Jack", but Jack just came over and gave me a hug and told me it was ok. Thanks Jack, I really needed that hug!

He said it wasn't a big deal and he would just redo the repair. What a relief (though I still feel so bad that it happened).

No comments:

Post a Comment