Saturday, March 7, 2009

A mixed paddle

Another physio treatment down, and my back is slowly starting to get better. I still haven't decided what kayak (category) I'm going to paddle at State so I asked Anton if I could try his TK1 today. Chris got home from work early today so with 38 minutes notice Anton met me at the usual place. Thank goodness he's so flexible with training times.

The TK1 obviously felt slower and heavier than the Van Dusan, but it was a very comfortable boat to paddle. The speeds we were doing were good (considering I was actually going easy today), but the thought of racing 20km in it was starting to look a bit daunting. We passed by Jack and Jen's place, had a very quick chat and continued up the river. Just as we were about to turn around at the first marker we looked around and Jack was behind us. He'd made a quick decision, had hopped in his Struer K1 and caught us up.

He offered for me to paddle the Struer back and so I gave it a try. NICE KAYAK!!!! It felt so stable, but much faster than the club K1. Not as fast as the Van Dusan, but I was able to do much better technique in it (due to better balance) and ended up going faster than I can in the Van Dusan (just because I could paddle it better). Cruising speed was 10km/hr, comfortable was 10.2-10.6km/hr, and riding on Jack's wash we got up to 12.4km/hr. Cool. That's the other thing...I was actually able to wash ride in it. It's the first K1 I've been able to do this properly in.

Since Jack has kindly offered for me to paddle it at State, I'm very tempted. The Van Dusan is a much quicker kayak, but I go quicker in the Struer because I can paddle it better and just haven't had long enough in the Van Dusan to be able to paddle it to my best ability.

So I'm going to race it at the club race tomorrow and see what kind of time I can do. I'm really looking forward to it. Jack thinks I could do 1:04 (hr:min), but I don't think I'll go that fast. I would like to beat my time in the Van Dusan from last race, and if I could do 1:06 I would be VERY happy.

Afterwards we went back to Jack and Jen's place and had a cup of Milo (yum), looked at some photos and had a good chat. Their place on the river is great. It was a lovely afternoon and I really enjoyed it. It's so nice to be making such lovely friends.

1 comment:

  1. 12.3km/h in the mirage sitting on jack's wash."OH WHAT FUN". i think thats redline. a good fun 9km training paddle. c ya

    ReplyDelete