Thursday, February 5, 2009

State Marathon Championships....to go, or not to go

Ever since I found out about the 2009 State Marathon Championships I have entertained the thought of going. Considering that it's being held in Forster it's also not too far for us to travel, but far enough that we would have to stay overnight. Since our funds are so tight at the moment I have been considering several possibilities. I really want to race. I think that this is a major competition that would be very beneficial to do. Basically if I can't race well at this level, then going to the World Masters Games is just plain silly. It's also a great chance to get high level competition practice. Since these competions are normally held with individual races on Saturday and Doubles etc on Sunday, one possibility was just doing a day trip and racing individually on the Saturday. Working out finances, we have been going back and forth deciding whether to go or not. We also need to consider the boys. Sure I could stay overnight on my own, but I don't want to be away from the boys overnight again so soon after the Hawkesbury Classic. Their wellbeing is my priority. The idea of a day trip (not sure if it would be on my own or not) was looking like the answer. Then Mick threw a curve ball in....
At the club race on Sunday Mick asked me if I would like to compete at State in the TK2 with him again. Now this is too good an opportunity to miss. After our success at the State 5000m championships it's obvious that we paddle really well together, and it looks like there'd be some more mixed TK2's competing as well this time. So if I do that, it would mean an overnight stay...decisions, decisions.

Well after long deliberations, Chris and I decided that we would plan to go. So I've spent all week trying to find somewhere cheap to stay. At first I tried the Caravan Park where the race is, but the online page said it was all booked out apart from tent sites. So I tried a few other places but everthing was too expensive. We then thought that we'd stay in tents which is not ideal with 2 young children, but I was desperate to go. So upon calling the Caravan Park tonight, I found out that the online site says they are booked out because they have reserved a heap of spots for kayakers for the weekend. After a quick chat, we snapped up the cheapest cabins on offer and are now set for the competition weekend. Now I've just got some serious training to do!

2 comments:

  1. Enough of the womanising rubbish..You are richer than most I know...Get in the damn helicopter and fly up there for the weekend..You can stay in one of your units over looking the ocean..See you up there.Lots of luv Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are soooo going to pay for that!

    ReplyDelete