Saturday, February 28, 2009

A great paddling session

Or as I threatened Mark I would label it....
"A paddle with Anton the Second"
As Mark put it he "gave Anton a run for his money today". Mark met me at the usual place early this morning and had already told me he was only going to go easy as a warm up for tomorrow's race. My response was "yeah right - no way". We did the 8km lap together at a comfortable pace (with Mark talking constantly - hence the title) and I was surprised when I looked at my watch to see that we did it in 49:50 (min:sec). That's the first time I've broken 50 minutes. Just goes to show how much faster the Van Dusan is (and how much better I'm getting at paddling it).

After the first lap Mark had to go, and I had no luck convincing Anton to come down and keep me company for the second lap. So I paddled the second lap on my own. Mark set me the target of 48 minutes which he said I "should be able to do easily without someone jabbering in my ear" and so I used the opportunity of paddling on my own to see what time I could do at a solid pace. I felt so good the whole session and I did the second lap at about 20km race pace...solid and puffing but not full on. I was again pleasantly surpised to see that I did it in 47:12 (min:sec). I had hoped to beat 48 min and was very happy with the time and how good I felt.

I didn't even have any thought of falling in. I feel pretty comfortable in the Van Dusan now. I still wouldn't want to be out in any decent chop mind you, but considering I've only been paddling it for just over a week, I am stoked at how comfortable I feel and how well I'm paddling it already. Yes Mark...you were right.

1 comment:

  1. Broke 50 minutes trying to get away from the constant jabber...Then had it rattling around in your brain second lap so just brain dead and no feeling duh....LOL..LOL

    ReplyDelete