Saturday, February 14, 2009

A wet jog and a bit of philosophy

I knew the weather was going to be miserable today by the forcast of heavy rain and 40km/hr winds. Early this morning it was pouring and gusty, but I still told the boys we were going for a run and that Connor would have to sit in the pram today as it was too wet to ride his bike. I got us all dressed and ready (boys in warm trackies and me in sports tights and Chris's wet weather golf vest) and waited for a break in the weather. As soon as it was only a drizzle I drove us all to the lake. I set the boys up in the Mountain Buggy Double Pram with the rain cover on and I headed off along the lake. It was drizzling the whole way to the end of the path, but on the way back it was barely spitting. It was actually an enjoyable run. The boys were dry and toasty in the pram, and I was dry and toasty in Chris's golf top. The heart rate monitor didn't pick up my heart rate properly today, so no measurements there, but I completed the path run in 21:31 (min:sec) which is great for pushing the double pram. It's really quite a good workout pushing 30kg in the pram with the rain cover acting as a nice wind break.

It got me thinking though, at what point does it become unreasonable/stupid to keep training. For some people just the look of rain is enough to call a session off. Others train in absolutely horrendous weather. I try to find middle ground. I think that you could pretty much come up with an excuse to miss any session (too hot, cold, wet, windy, sunny, tired, hungry, thirsty, etc). I also think it's silly to jeapordise your health by taking it too far and training in weather that will likely make you end up sick. For some people it seems to be a measure of how tough/serious/dedicated/focused a person is. Sometimes it's something to brag about and almost becomes a competition. I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this, and at what point they decide to call a session off.

1 comment:

  1. Why call it off..The only time not to train is when you have a broken leg...That does not excuse it either as I have seen cripples with no legs paddle 111 kilometres over night and finish..Sounds like a reason to make up EXCUSES to me...LOL..
    If you can get there then train.If it cold then wear warm cloths..If it is hot take a cold drink..To much sun well that is why they make sunscreen..Snow..well wear a cap to keep it out of your eyes and go harder to warm up..
    Hungry..Well eat something..Thirsty..well what can I say..
    I can see only one reason and one alone..
    MY WIFE SAID NO...!!!!
    That does not excuse me from being lazy though.LOL..LOL..Roll around

    ReplyDelete