Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Kayaking Background

This post has basically been copied from my other blog which was meant to be a diary of my journey towards the 2008 Hawkesbury Canoe Classic. I stopped blogging several weeks into it when my Father suddenly and unexpectedy died. Against the odds and only 10 weeks after my Dad's death, I did complete the HCC, and will finish my story on the original blog. But for the purposes of this blog, and my recent shoulder soreness, I thought I'd better explain the LONG story behind it all...

"Well, this has been a long journey - 6 years to take me up to this years attempt at the HCC. I haven't even made it to the start line yet!

2003 -The first time I thought of entering the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic (HCC) I had only just taken up Kayaking and decided that 6 weeks was not enough time to prepare for paddling 111km. I decided to be a volunteer and it was great to soak up the atmosphere.

2004 - The following year I was in serious kayak training and had had some success in State Marathon Series races. I had planned to enter the HCC and then I fell pregnant with my first son - happily it happened easier and quicker than we had expected, but it definately put an end to that years race. When I was 3 months pregnant, it was the last time I would paddle until I bought my Mirage 580 in 2007.

2005 - The following year my son would have only been 7 months old at race day and I was still breastfeeding him (and my mummy body still couldn't fit into my racing kayak), so I decided that it was best to put it off for another year.

2006 - The next year I fell pregant with my second son so that year was also out.

2007 - Last year I had planned to enter and had sold my racing kayak for a more stable (and wider) sea kayak. 3 weeks into my training (May 07) I had a nasty fall in the bathroom and badly injured my shoulder (? fracture - there's still debate over that one, torn rotator cuff - subscapularis, torn labrum, subluxed biceps tendon), so that was the end of that years plans (and the start of 12 months serious shoulder rehab).

2008 - well in January this year I was finally allowed to start kayaking again and have now slowly built up my distances and times. I have now completed 20km for 2 Sunday's in a row, so all is going well (touch wood). My shoulder feels fantastic paddling, but unfortunately still gives me pain and trouble doing many day-to-day activities, so I am currently deciding whether to go ahead with the surgery the Orthopedic Shoulder surgeon has suggested. The surgery won't be until after the HCC, so I have a bit of time up my sleeve still. So THAT is where I've been to get to today."

Well, the rest of the story is... that I trained really well, did my shoulder rehab exercises, my shoulder started improving dramatically, and with a lot of help and support from family and friends I successfully completed the 2008 HCC in 15hrs and 41min (half an hour quicker than I had ever hoped for). I then raced successfully in the 2008 State 5000m championships, and that pretty much brings me up to the start of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment