Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kayak training session - intervals

Tonights session almost didn't happen, with Chris unexpectedly having to work back. I had been looking forward to the session and had it all planned. The aim was to get down to the river early and get a nice long warm up in before Anton got there, and then to do some interval training. Anyway, poor Chris called and said that he had to stay back until something was completed. He was not happy, and either was I. Anyway I had reluctantly resigned myself to missing the session, when he called to say he was on his way home and would I still like to go for my paddle. What a trooper. I was tempted just to give it a miss since I had already told Anton I wouldn't be there. But I thought to myself..."This is the difference between being successful or not. It is the people who train in bad weather or when they don't feel like it, that are the best." So I went...and what a great session!!! We were there later than normal but it was still hot, windy, choppy, and not very inviting, but again...these are the sessions that make you better. This is what we did...
3 km warm up (bridge and back)
700m 'fast' (pontoon to powerlines), 700m recovery *decided it was too windy and glary so changed the interval location
400m 'fast'(pontoon to blue boat), 400m recovery,
400m fast, 400m recovery,
400m fast, 400m recovery,
3km cool down (bridge and back)
So it worked out to be about a 10km session all up. I felt strong in the intervals. Anton had a hard time keeping up in his Mirage (especially in that wind and heat). He said that I seem to be "getting faster in that thing", which I think I am. I can go hard now without having to stop my rhythm to regain balance or brace. There's still a long way to go, but I'm starting to see the improvements in the K1. At the end of the session I felt a great sense of achievement. I completed a hard interval session and felt strong. A great way to get the endorphins going.

No comments:

Post a Comment